Thursday, August 12, 2004

Something I Finally HAVE!!

Oh yeah!! It was such a happy day! I finally got my driving license!! Woke up at 545am and was there for my warm-up session at 725am. As told by my previous instructors, I will get a newer car. Well, the touch of the car wasn't that good. But wasn't too bad either. So went to do the circuits for one time and went outside on the roads for a while. The warm-up session was so short! I thought it would be longer, but it was barely half an hour!

Stomach in a knot, hands shivering... That's what I always get before a test or exam - Nervousness. I hate this kind of feeling. Stomache will follow, and then will need to go toilet. Then followed by a full bladder. Shucks. Since young, I can never calm myself down.

So there I went into the waiting room. Balloted for my test route. 9!! A route I've only practised once!!! But lucky me, didn't kena 6 and 7 - the most difficult route of the 10 routes.

The tester came, called out my name, and I led him to the car. Did everything as per normal, adjusted the seat, mirrors, and put on the seat belt.... everything with a bit of nervousness. Then he asked me to turn left into the circuit even before he put on his seat belt. He felt my nervousness and told me not to be nervous. I attempted to turn left at a junction and he said," Go Straight! I didn't ask you to turn!!" I thought it was gone case already. Not following instructions constitutes an immediate failure!

I did ok on the slope! I didn't slide backwards! Everything seemed so fast, one after another. Parking was good! I got all the sighting points accurately. The tester was the "gan chiong" type. Kept asking me to go on even before I finished one part of the circuit. Maybe he wanted to see if I would react rashly to his instructions. But overall, he didn't have a happy face. His face was quite "black".

The road outside was good. Didn't have to do much lane-change. Good traffic too! Overtook a bus from the back into the filter lane to the left. Was really close to the bus rear. One car even gave way to me when I needed to lane-change to the right. Without realising, I was back at the driving center again, and followed the tester upstairs to the police department. We went into a room, sat down, and unexpectedly, he threw my IC back at me. I was shocked. It was so rude to throw! Humpf!! And didn't even debrief me on what and how I faired. Not even a word. Nonetheless, I thanked him out of politeness and went back to the office to close my account and get some paper work done. However, thinking back, I think he was very lenient with me. Oh ya, HAHA! I passed with 12 points. Demerit on speed too slow for traffic conditions, failure to use engine brake (which I think I did use everytime!!), inappropriate gear (due to tester's sudden change of instructions) and failure to position my vehicle properly (which I guess is while waiting for the right-turn). Sigh. I could have done better if not for my stupid nervousness.

Carried on to watch a video, then went back to pay for the driving license. Relieved. How not easy it is to get this card. And expensive. But I'm so glad it's over. When I was leaving the driving center, sadness overwhelms me. I am actually quite sad. It means no more driving lessons, no more meeting my instructors, no more taking bus 8 and changing buses to the center, no more walking past the security, no more paying 10 cents for the toilet, no more looking for my numbered car and no more driving Toyota Soluna.

No comments: