Saturday, March 30, 2013

Violin Masterclass with Yew Shan

I was away in KL over the weekend and took MAS flight back for Yew Shan's violin masterclass. I was practising hard every day for the whole week except the two nights when I was away in KL. Hence, I was very hesitant in signing up. However it was a rare chance to come by as I had priority  furthermore, I do not have to pay a single cent. So I finally muster up my courage and sent in my application.

I chose a difficult piece in a difficult key - Bach's Violin Concerto in E, first movement. This probably will be my ATCL piece. I was the last of the five candidates for the masterclass. I wasn't the least bit of anxious while waiting for my turn. I was in fact listening attentively to every candidate he was commenting on. 

However, when it was finally my turn, I did not know why, the butterflies in my stomach started to fly crazily. My body temperature was shooting up, my hands were hardening and my heart was thumping erratically. I breathed hard and thought of the music before playing. It started well, but less than ten bars into the music, adrenaline started GUSHING up my brain and before I knew it, my hands were out of control, against the logical instructions from my brain. The tempo grew faster and faster, and coordination problems started coming in. Followed by intonation and rhythm problems. 

I was totally disappointed with my playing. I COULD play 1 000% much better! In the photos my friends took, I saw my face RED. This was probably the ever first time my face and neck turned red due to nervousness. 

Yew Shan was a really nice mentor and he could probably tell I was super nervous. Hence he spent some time explaining how to control nervousness.

I learnt a lot from him and I really LOVE his playing. He is playing Brahm's Violin Concerto with us and his tone and technique really mesmerizes me. 

Thank you, Yew Shan, for making this a memorable experience for me. I promise I'll practise even harder and play better in front of you should there be a next time.


No comments: