Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Busy busy

Busy busy busy. Everyday have to think about FYP and about booking equipment. As the day goes by, I get more and more anxious about my FYP. It just seems so endless. Characterizing and characterizing everyday. The worst is that I came back last Saturday and was shut outside the door of my labs. There was nobody in the lab and the lab door needed a security card to access. AND how could they ever allow us, FYP students. to book the equipment when we don't have card access??? Desperate, I called Dr Miao. No, in fact I SMSed him. He called back 10 minutes later, and said he was doing on a report, and told me that labs are only open to RESEARCH students on Sat. Sadly, I had to give up my TWO slots - namely XRD and the 6360 SEM to the ghosts!!

Without any choice, I went to my simultaneous event on that same morning - my SE Lunchtime Concert rehearsal at LT19. Even though I was like 10 minutes late, everybody was doing nothing there. I went down the steps, and the Chairperson, (ok, I declare her non-bitch now cos' I have understood her plight recently), requested me to help tune the Beginners. Some of their violins are so out of tune, and the fine-tuners are so bloody tight!!! Engaging the help of a cute guy, we only managed to tune half the group of Beginners cos' it was really difficult to tune their violins. Tuning one violin took about 10 minutes. Both the guy and I were like quite warm in the cold LT after a while.

As usual, the good players were not present. There were only 2 first violins and no experienced cellist. Sad to say, there were about only 4 quite-ok players there. So the rehearsal was not very successful.

After the rehearsal, we went for lunch at Canteen A. Then continued to Nanyang House for practise. I was solo that day, leaving only me in the first violin section cos' the other player went home to do....... TUTORIALS?!?!?!

I guess the really good players are all bored with the easy pieces we have been playing for the past one year. Not to mention, I was already bored long time ago. My attendance is just to show respect to our conductor, and most importantly, I enjoyed every practise. How I wish we could have played more challenging songs. Really looking forward to String Ensemble becoming a String Orchestra after 26th Feb 2005. =)

No comments: