Sunday, June 20, 2004

Leaping

Went to give the third music lesson to my student today at Tanah Merah. The mother requested me to teach her daughter popular songs.

"Popular songs, meaning wat?" was the first thought that came into my mind.

"Get her some popular songs, play and see if she likes it or not. Then if she likes, then teach her. Don't force a song she doesn't like." Was what she roughly said.

Sigh. I once asked my student what she likes to play, she said anything. So I went to photocopy the songs from Winter Sonata - a Korean drama. Erm, she doesn't even watch the show and only have a slight impression of the songs. I mean, how to teach? Those are really very very popular songs amongst the teenagers.

Kind of disheartening, but I think I'm not a fault. The student is of Grade 1 standard and her mother expects me to teach her pop songs. Kind of impossible. No theory background, no technical knowledge, no foundation playing loh. Asking a baby to walk when he can't even crawl. Sigh. Think I have to try my best. Haha, if I succeed, I can come out with a book - The Shortcut to Piano Playing.

One thing I have to learn about life - Defending myself. Everytime when people reprimand me, I only accepted everything even though they were wrong. I was afraid to speak up for myself. Think this is something I should change. I shouldn't think about the other party too much. To survive, one has to be defensive, fake, hypocritical and filled with evil thoughts. The bad always prevails. Muahaha.

No comments: