Monday, July 11, 2005

Convocation

I woke up at 7am, had half a chicken pie and a glass of ginseng water for breakfast. Then I changed into long sleeves white blouse and black skirt. Luckily the weather wasn't very hot. Then my Dad drove my mum and I to NTU at 810am.

There was a bit of jam towards Eunos and later in Clementi. Luckily I wasn't very late, reached about 905am. Quickly walked to Nanyang Auditorium and got changed. YH, JH and David weren't there. We were supposed to meet at the postcard stand at Coffee Club Express. So thinking they would be late, I wore my gown first. But they were actually inside changing liao.

There were many people lining up, and I was quite blur about what to do. Luckily, there were marshalls asking if we needed help. They were friendly leh! I quickly found out my number was 345 and seat number G45. My parents then went in to sit and I queued up in line. Everyone was in high spirits and the girls were made-up, and guys look dashing in their ties and leather shoes.

After all the parents were seated, we walked in line by line and all parents turned their heads, eagerly looking out for their child. After that, Dr Tony Tan, DPM came. The lecturers dressed in their own gowns then walked in, followed by Dr Nathan, President of Singapore. Then the National Anthem was broadcasted.

Dr Su Guan Ning gave his opening speech. Then Mr President gave out the empty degree folders to the PhDs and masters holders. I thought I could get a handshake from him, but when it became our turn, a different person gave out the degree folders to us. No chance of shaking Mr President's hands.

I was quite nervous before going up, kept thinking what to do on stage and how I should say my thank you. In the end, I didn't trip (phew) and the person was really nice, saying "Congrats to you!" I wasn't so nervous after all. I turned and pose for the camera and it snapped. Hope the stage photo will turn out nice. Cost $12 ok!

10 seconds on stage for 4 years of slogging. Say goodbye to pocket money from my Dad. Goodbye to carefree holidays. And now, have to dread about CPF, income tax, insurance coverage, how much to scrimp and how much to give parents. *BLEAH*

After the ceremony, we bid goodbye to our parents. After which, we took the MRT to City Hall. Then we had lunch at Cafe Cartel in Raffles City. We walked to Supreme Court, VCH, Arts Museum, Boat Quay, then Fullerton. Our legs were so tired by then!

*Photos are uploaded. You need to log in to see.*

I'm surprised he was online tonight. I thought he was kind of tired after the day's work. We chatted for a long while till 2am, until I told him I need to pack for KL. I was surprised he actually talked so much to me, especially it was regarding his personal matters. Hope my consolation helped.

No comments: